Go Back   Land Rover Forum > Land Rover Specific Models > Land Rover 4 (LR4)

Land Rover 4 (LR4) Discuss the LR4 in this section

Old 10-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
michalc

Default Discovery 4 / LR4 Auxiliary Long Range Tank

For some time I have been trying to source an auxiliary tank for my Disco4 (I still refuse to call it LR4 but in fact it is a US spec Disco 4). Over the past 2 years of wheeling I realized that one of the biggest issues with my car is its limited offroad range. 375hp V8 has its benefits (especially at high altitudes) but gosh it has its drawbacks. The problem was that Disco 3/4 (or for that matter any LR) aux tanks are not made in the US but are quite popular in South Africa and Australia.

To the best of my knowledge, only one aux fuel tank was ever installed on a US spec Disco 3/4 and in that case it was done by the ARB team which tried to figure out whether they would like to import Australian made Disco 3/4 aux fuel tanks. They encountered lots of issues (fault codes popping etc) and as a result they don't import aux tanks (I believe you can special order Disco 3/4 aux tank with them but don't know anyone that actually did it). As a result, I think this is the first SUCCESSFUL (no fault codes / system fully functional at all angles/capacity of the aux fuel tank) installation of an aux tank for US spec Disco3/4....

Recently I got my hands on an Australian Long Range Automotive Aux Tank (29 gallons) that was meant to fit all Disco 3/4.... Well that's where the story starts. The tank does fit "almost" all Disco 3/4s except for US specification as in the US (for some gas emission regulation reasons) LR had to completely redesign fuel intake/pipes/flow system. What that meant is very early in the process we realized that... nothing fits (and by nothing I really mean no single pipe/fitting/hookup etc provided by the manufacturer fit the US spec fuel intake). My buddy and I spent long hours staring at the diagrams of US spec fuel intake and came up with a fully custom hook up. We encountered and conquered tons of issues..... (1) how to connect aux fuel tank to the liquid/vapor separator (not present on any non US LRs); (2) how to connect the aux fuel tank to the fuel intake system (the original system was made for diesel and didn't fit) / location of the connection is also very tricky due to gravity (the fuel has to actually flow to the regular tank and due to LR fuel pipe set up it isn't that easy; (3) the fuel pump provided with the system has a meager capacity of 23g/h which meant that it would take 1.5hrs to transfer all the fuel (we installed a second fuel pump with a capacity of 95g/h that works together with the manufacturer's pump - the transfer of all 29gallons takes minutes now...) etc etc...

Week after the installation I can say the following - it is WORKING! The system is fully operational and there is no approach angle issues (the tank design is actually perfect as it follows the internal lines and thus fits perfectly).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaymar bumper 1.jpg (101.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pipe connection 3.jpg (95.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pipe connection 2.jpg (95.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pipe connection.jpg (99.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pump (manufactuer) 2.jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool BT, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper, Long Range Automotive Aux fuel tank, air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....
michalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
michalc

More pictures of the instal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pump (additional high capacity).jpg (95.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pump (manufactuer) connection.jpg (95.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Liquid_Vapor separator new fuel lines set up.jpg (98.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg New Fuel filter.jpg (73.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Old fuel lines disconnect.jpg (91.0 KB, 10 views)
2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool BT, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper, Long Range Automotive Aux fuel tank, air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....
Old 10-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
michalc

and the final pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaymar bumper 2.jpg (101.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Eniam17

OP - I pm'd you a few questions so as not to hijack thread. Thanks
Eniam17 is offline   Reply With Quote