PDA

View Full Version : occassional squeal

jastutte
05-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey guys,

just signed up and decided to post up a little issue i have been trying to track down.

sometimes while driving my 96 discovery i can hear a squealing sound. i recently refreshed the swivels with some 90wt to see if that would eliminate the sound. from what i've read, though, the swivels, bearings, and/or cvs wouldn't make a squeal if they were going out anyway. the cvs would make more of a clicking noise, right?

the squeal comes and goes and i can't tell if it is coming from the front or the back. it goes away if i tap on the brakes. i do know that i need new rotors in the back and i'm wondering if there is any way to check if the rear pads are not releasing all the way?

anyway, just had my wife drive the rover in a parking lot around me to see if i could tell which side the squeal was coming from. of course, it never made a sound. had her drive it in circles going both directions and not a peep. then when we left and drove down a residential street i could hear it again. went away when she tapped on the brakes. so, i'm still thinking brakes. but, tell me if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
jeremiah
1996 discovery

i'm open to any suggestions and haven't yet ruled out wheel bearings.

the truck has 178,000 miles.

Joey
05-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Sounds like either you need new brakes, or the rods and springs that hold the brake pads are getting old and need replaced. Normally when I change my brakes on my Disco I change everything while I am there... keeps it simple.

The plus is changing the brake pads on a D1 is very easy, changing the rotors on the other hand is a wee bit of a pain.