PDA

View Full Version : 97 Disco won't crank

4wheeldrifter
05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Battery is charged, everything electrical works (windows, sunroofs, lights, radio, fan, etc) except the door locks. I suspect that this is a security issue. I can hear a clicking of a relay (?) operating under the passenger side dash (K137 Starter Solenoid Relay ?). The alarm indicator lamp flashes with the ignition off, but goes to solid red when I try to start the engine. My OBD II shows no error codes. :(

Joey
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a dead battery.... have the battery tested.

4wheeldrifter
05-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey Joey;

You've helped me before under another name in that "other" forum <grin>. The battery was new last July. I miss the old batteries where I could check specific gravity of the electrolyte. Agreed, it could be the battery, but I believe the problem lies elsewhere. I'll swap the battery out of one of my other vehicles to check.

Hope your new site is meeting your expectations. As for me, I feel closer to the Disco God Joey here. :D

4wheeldrifter
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I dunno what just happened, unless Joey took an angel flight to my driveway. Decided to give it one more try before knocking off for the day. Tried the key to lock the doors, and Bing! all the doors locked. Twisted it the other way and Bang! all the doors unlocked. Jumped in put the key in the ignition, twisted it and BOOM, she started like a dream....
Think I'll file this one under what we in the Navy called "Mysterious Electrical Shit"...:D

Joey
05-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Navy woo hoo 11years myself, that would be an A-799

4wheeldrifter
05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
<sigh> I'm beginning to realize that you need to REALLY love older Rovers to actually own one ;) Now the radio won't accept the activation code, and I just loaded 6 Warren Zevon disks into the CD player.....
What's an A-799 Joey? I did 5 years 10 months and 22 days on Nuke subs, getting an early out as an ET1(SS)(DV) to go to college. :D

Joey
05-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Radio... wait at least an hour... start plugging in your activation code if you hear the different beep stop and start over. Otherwise you should be able to put it in.

A-799 is no fault found... it was an Airdale thing.

4wheeldrifter
05-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I'll give that a try, and I see that you were not only a skimmer but a bird farmer as well? :D

4wheeldrifter
05-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Joey, yer da best. Your radio advice worked perfectly. I think I'll call the Pope and recommend you for Sainthood, even tho yer not Dead yet....:D

Shaggy
05-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Awesome. Yea, Joey knows his stuff! :D