PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in ignition switch

Harold Hill
04-02-2011, 05:37 PM
The key is stuck in the ignition switch on my '00 Disco. It has 189K miles. For a while you had to jiggle the key a bit when you turned it to start the truck, but it always came out. As long as you knew how to do it, it would always work. It would drive my wife nuts when she had to drive the truck, she usually couldn't get the key to turn, but she finally got it.

Now, it will not turn all the way back to the final stop. I have to leave the key in the ignition, then lock and unlock with the spare. My mechanic says that the lock cylinder is not available separately, that he'll have to get the entire switch from the dealer for about $500+. He tried for a good while and could not get the key unstuck.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? I'd really like to get the key out. Also, any sources for the lock cylinder or switch?

Thanks!!

Joey
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Harold,

Thanks for posting the first question on the forum :)

Sadly you do need to replace the entire switch as far as I know, but I would look at buying used. I know Nathan (listed in my signature) can get access to either new or used parts for you... give him a call and I am sure he can help you get one.