PDA

View Full Version : D1 Headlight replacement

Joey
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I am not sure where I found this, but thanks to whom ever wrote this.

Tools required
Small Philips head screwdriver
Emery cloth (sand paper)

Procedure
1. On the underside of the plastic cowling which surrounds the steering column are three screws in recessed holes, undo these screws.
2. Firmly, but cautiously pull apart the top and bottom of the cowling, It snaps together, but do not force it.
3. Turn the steering wheel to the left so that the top of the center body of the wheel is aligned vertically rather than horizontally, which it would be if the driving wheels were straight ahead. It is easier if the engine is running when doing this so that the Power Assisted Steering is working.
4. Before continuing, turn OFF the ignition and remove the key for safety.
5. Access to two small screws used to secure the switch housing to the steering column assembly is now gained. See picture. Remove these two screws.
6. There are two connecter blocks on the back of the switch, disconnect these.
7. Firmly, but again cautiously, pull the switch from the column. It has probably not been removed since vehicle assembly so will undoubtedly be stiff. This took me a little time to work out, but the switch will ONLY come out if pulled straight out through the direction of the drivers door. There are two tracks on the top and two on the bottom of the switch holding its position so it must slide in and out along these tracks.
8. Once the switch is out, remove the two screws on the back and separate the covers from the switch body, there are two, one on top of the other, both held in by the two screws. Be careful when separating the switch as there are moving parts inside which will come out and need to go back in, in the same location.
9. Clean any residue or corrosion from the contacts within the switch using the emery cloth. A light sanding is all that should be necessary, try not to touch the contacts again with dirty fingers.
10. Reassemble the two covers on the back of the switch and plug in the two connecter blocks.
11. Turn on the ignition and try to turn on the lights, if all lights work as they should turn off lights and ignition then reassemble following these instructions backwards.