PDA

View Full Version : Disco2 shifter console loses power Intermittent

Vegasmike
05-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi All! First time Land Rover owner, new to forum. I just purchased a 2002 D2 with 120K, and have noticed an intermittent loss of power to the shifter collumn. Even when driving, if I stop to change gears, and move to park, the P is not illuminated and I then can't get it out of park. Got pulled over yesterday for no plates (Cop didn't see temp license in my front window) and took me an hour for it to get from P to D. I have already replaced brake switch as a precaution, which stopped the D2 from holding onto my key, but then this intermittent thing started. Sometimes I loose all the console shifter position lights, not just park. Usually though, just the park light, which starts the problem. Afraid to take it on the road. Just got it four days ago. Don't have history, but dealer says I need new head gaskets ($2600) scheduled for Monday next. Afraid of cost for troubleshooting electrical console shifter issue. Hope someone has an idea so I can go in there prepared. They look at me like I'm a Rockefeller instead of Joe the plumber. Any help out there? New to forum.