PDA

View Full Version : Help

Krissrover
12-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Help 2000 lndr disco 2 149k ran good perfect until was going to work, I came out started it up everything was fine then check engine light came on amd it idled a little rough I decided to run down to the auto store and tell me what was wrong with it I then came back out,to my car and wouldnt start from there not over heated nothing wrong also just changed the oil last week!!! It gets a little bit of a spark to the,plug turns over but wont fire up I dragged it behind a jeep 8( emmbarssed should be other way aroumd autozone told me miss fireing on 853 cyclnders and also nuetural position switch circuit high ik nput proble cause so I got towed behind a jeep 8( bk home were do I start please help call 6025029243 if u can guide me

Joey
12-17-2011, 04:11 AM
sounds like the crank position sensor is bad.

unstable
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm not familiar enough with all of the nuances of the Disco II's electrical / ignition system to say for sure, but I will say that a faulty neutral position switch can usually cause the car to not want to start.

The neutral switch ensures that the car is in neutral or park before it will start to prevent it from trying to start while in gear. Just for laughs you might want to try shifting through all of the gears and see if that yields you any change.
I would guess that the switch would be right there at the shifter and should be easy to fix, you might be able to bypass the switch with a paper-clip or just by joining two wires (all depending on how the switch is configured this may or may not work).

I had problems with my coil pack not long ago and that's also a possibility but it was only causing misfires, I didn't have a no-start condition. Weak spark would also point towards bad wires or bad coil pack(s).

As the other poster mentioned, there's also the possibility that you've got a bad crankshaft sensor. I'm trying to think of how much of a bear that would be to replace...unless I'm mistaken it's sitting on the front of the timing cover. You'd have to tear down the fan / belts, one bolt holds it in, plugs into a weather-proof connector which might be bolted down somewhere as well.

I'd check the neutral safety switch for starters.

AdrnlnRush
02-17-2014, 02:11 PM
sounds like the crank position sensor is bad.

Joey,

I believe you gave me the advice to change the crankshaft position sensor. The repair seems very straight forward, but my workshop manual tells me that I have to "Reset adaptation codes using TestBook" What does this mean?! and can I do it myself?!

AdrnlnRush
02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions after changing the crankshaft position sensor, the workshop manual says to "Reset adaptation codes using TestBook" What does this mean and can it be done without taking it to a dealership or shop?!?!